Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO)
New WordPress website for professional membership association
The Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO) is the leading professional body for Dispensing Opticians, which campaigns to advance the profession and raise its profile.
"The Association of British Dispensing Opticians has been working with IE Digital to develop a new website. We are midway through a project and are delighted with the attractive and functional website which has already launched. The team at IE Digital have worked hard to take on board our requirements and come up with creative and innovative ways to deliver a great website for our members."
Head of Communications, ABDO
Before we landed
ABDO had a public site and a members’ portal, which provides access to restricted content and membership benefits. The public site had four separate navigation menus, leading to a confusing, disjointed user experience, while member benefits were poorly communicated.
The challenge we were set
ABDO asked IE to redevelop their website, to streamline their content and place a renewed emphasis on the user experience. Membership is mandatory for students working towards Fellow of British Dispensing Opticians (FBDO) status, but optional once fully qualified. A key objective for the site is to encourage member retention.
The difference we made
- A well-structured, user friendly WordPress CMS – a platform already familiar to ABDO’s team.
- Intuitive user experience with clear signposting and content structure architecture, based on different user journeys.
- AA accessible to accommodate visitors with a visual impairment, and fully responsive on all devices.
- Clearly articulated the undeniable benefits of membership, such as free Continuing Education and Training events, professional indemnity insurance, and a benevolent fund.
- ABDO’s member magazine, Dispensing Optics (DO) Online, members-only Business Support Hub and live chat feature.
- Further improvements to come in phase two, particularly for member-only areas of the site.